Sunday, April 25, 2010

The loss of a great man

I just recently found out about the death of a man I hold close to my heart. It was such a shock and I still don't think I've fully accepted it. Mason was my friend and mentor and influenced my life tremendously. All that I know about retail, fashion, wholesale buying, and managing I owe to him. I never would've opened my own business without the training and confidence in my trade that I recieved from working under such a brilliant man.

Mason was from Damascus, Syria and grew up in the wholesale business. He always spoke of Damascus and its splendor. He made it sound like the streets were lined in gold and surrounded by magnificent buildings. He always said one day he'd take me there to see it's beauty. Mason moved to America on his own right out of High School to attend college in the States. Believe it or not his major was in Electric Engineering. He later went on to open the most successful Boutique business in NW Arkansas. I was blessed enough to work with him for 7 years as his business grew and prospered. He had such an amazing talent and I could've only dreamed to be the success he was.

He wasn't only an amazing mentor and boss but a great friend. Always happy and cracking jokes he had the best personality. Having to put in my notice and leave his side was one of the hardest moments I can remember. I was getting married and moving here, to Illinois. My husband and I were just looking at our wedding pictures and came across a picture of Mason standing tall with us at our reception. I guess that's what inspired this blog. I often wonder where I would be if my husband and I had gotten to stay in Arkansas and I continued working for him. Who knows?

A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with brain cancer and last week he lost the battle.

Mason will forever be in my heart and I will always consider him the man who changed my life. You will be missed, Mason!!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, this post made me cry! I still can't believe he is gone, either. There are a lot of people mourning here in Fayetteville. Mason did do a lot for you and taught you so much! He even hired you back twice after firing you again and again! Ha! He really had faith in you. He will be missed around here. Love you and this was a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget Mason either. I didn't really know him, but I knew what an influence he was in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mason was a wonderful mentor. I was so shocked both times that he rehired you. It could only have been that he saw something in you and knew what you were capable of. I'm sure he would have loved your store and been very proud of you. Good post.

    ReplyDelete